More than 280 million Tweets posted from mobile phones reveal geographic usage patterns in unprecedented detail.
Some of the interesting points:
- Generally speaking, the developed world is a sea of iPhone red.
- …with some exceptions. For example, Spain loves its Android devices and Blackberries.
- The Middle East, Southeast Asia and Indonesia heavily favor Blackberries.
- Korea is split – urban Seoul prefers iPhone, but everywhere else in the country goes for Android devices.
- Not surprisingly, you can actually identify more and less affluent areas by device usage, with the more expensive iPhone being more heavily represented in wealthier areas. Chicago is a great example of this, as is Los Angeles.
It is important to note that this specifically represents Twitter usage – not necessarily actual device penetration.
Via an interactive map of the world at Map Box.